Thursday, March 20, 2014

usb mic

You have been asking the same question I have been trying to get an answer to for almost a year now. Here's what I know: Most IPhones and smartphones can take a very nice analog mic through the headset jack with a TRRS 3.5mm jack input and it will read the audio on the fourth ring. Now that gets some pretty good sound if you have a pretty good mic and you can even use a audio interface. 

Then I saw the Apogee USB mic for not only computers but also for the IPhone through the charging port. This is what gave me the idea to see if I could just hook it up to any smartphone through the charging port using a micro usb male to a female USB adapter. I still haven't found out the answer but I do know you can do what you are thinking of with the USB Apogee mic which is supposed to be one of the nicer ones on the market-you will only be able most probably be able to use it with an IPhone for that's for sure that you can. You might then also be able to hook it up like you were thinking and run it through your own smartphone but that would depend if there's a audio in somewhere through the charging port-there is for the IPhone. But who knows for the average smartphone. 

See, the only difference is that going through the charging port or the usb port on a computer is digital and the headset jack is for analog-that means if you get an adapter for the headset jack you'll lose some of that pristine sound because it will have to convert back to analog. I may just have to buy the Apogee USB mic and use it with my Iphone and then experiment with other smartphones and their charging ports. If I find out, I'll let you know. But remember, you can get pretty darn good sound through the headset jack with an analog mic if it takes a TRRS input jack. 

Hope one of us figures it out soon! 

Gigihere


What's the best way to record a video with high quality audio? Specifically, this is for a presentation where a microphone could be placed by the speaker. I know that an app that records with the right codec is necessary, but what about the microphone?
I'd prefer to use a USB mic but, even though Android 3.1+ supports USB host mode, it doesn't appear that this is easy to accomplish. What about a 3.5mm microphone - would that yield acceptable results, or would it be better to stick with the built-in microphone? Are any of the video-recording apps capable of handling the microphone?
shareimprove this question
   
Does your device have a mic jack? –  Matthew Read Feb 10 '12 at 17:48
   
Yes and no... I have a few test devices, let's say the Droid 1, which should work with a wired handsfree device. I'll need to track down a splitter to use it with a standard 3.5mm microphone. If I'm going the USB Host route, I'll use a Xoom or put a beta of Cyanogenmod9 (with ICS) onto the Droid 1. There seem to be problems with using line-in audio for video recording, from what I've seen. I'm still testing. –  ProjectJourneyman Feb 11 '12 at 4:37

No comments:

Post a Comment